Fairy Tale eggplants are true to their name...totally dreamy.
These sweet and adorable eggplants get split and seared to perfection, then tossed in a slightly sticky, super savory glaze. The sesame seeds add texture and the scallions add a crunch and zing. Such a great snack or side dish!
1lb Fairy Tale Eggplants, halved lengthwise
2-4 tbsp flavorless, high-heat oil (such as grapeseed, safflower, canola)
A few dashes of Kosher Salt
¼ cup Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Honey
1 clove Garlic, grated or minced
1 Scallion Bulb, thinly sliced
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1. Preheat a large cast iron skillet with about 2 tbsp of oil to coat the pan well.
2. Carefully place the eggplant cut side down in the pan in a single layer, working in batches if they don’t all fit at once.
3. Sear until golden brown, about 2 minutes. If the pan becomes dry, add a bit more oil to avoid any burning. Flip just the larger pieces to sear briefly on the other side; the small ones won’t need it.
4. Move the eggplant to a plate, face side up in a single layer. Sprinkle with a dash of kosher salt while they’re hot. Let them sit for at least 5 minutes (doing so will help them keep their shape and texture).
5. Meanwhile, add the soy sauce, honey, and garlic to a sauté pan. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to let the sauce simmer for less than a minute until slightly thickened - when you run a spoon through, the sauce should hold its place just momentarily.
6. Add the eggplant to the sauce and toss it to coat.
7. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle all over with sesame seeds and sliced scallions.