Beet + Yogurt Dip
A tickle-me-pink dip that’ll make your heart skip a beet!
This dip is simple, healthy and undeniably pretty lookin’. It’s light and bright, making for a refreshing appetizer that won’t leave you full or a totally guilt-free snack that’s just as great with veggies as it is with potato chips. And it keeps well in the fridge for a few days for easy grazing.
Note: The beets and garlic can be roasted in advance and stored in the fridge for a day. It’s easy to set ‘em and forget ‘em, so I like roasting the night before blending the dip.
3 medium Beets
1 head of Garlic
½ cup Plain Yogurt
½ cup Almonds
1 Lemon, juiced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Dill, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Lightly coat the beets in olive oil and a few pinches of kosher salt; wrap them loosely in a foil package.
- Cut the top off the head of garlic to reveal the cloves and place it on tin foil. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Add a small splash of water then seal into a loose pouch.
- Place the wrapped beets and garlic on a sheet tray and into the oven. Roast both until completely soft.
- Check the garlic after 30 minutes and the beets after 50 minutes. Depending on their size, they may take longer. Once roasted, let them come to room temperature.
- Peel the beets; the skins should come off with ease if they’re well roasted. You can rub the skin right off with a paper towel, or use a paring knife.
- Remove the garlic cloves from their skins. If well roasted, they should pop right out with a light squeeze!
BLEND THE DIP
- Dice the beets and place them in the bowl of a food processor with the garlic, lemon and yogurt. Blend until smooth.
- Add the almonds and blend until nearly smooth. Season with kosher salt to taste.
- Place the dip in a serving bowl and garnish with plenty of fresh dill.